Organizing for my Daughter

Unless your home has a separate playroom, it’s a challenge to organize a child’s bedroom to be both a sleeping/restful place as  well as a play area for awake hours.

The first step in organizing a child’s room is to purge, purge, purge.

Get rid of broken, junky toys and stuffed animals.  If your child has 50 stuffed animals, which I now know is possible, have your child pick 10 -20 they want to keep, and donate the rest.  You can’t organize clutter.

ANYWAY, my daughters room has been sliding lately, due to the fact we haven’t had any company for a couple of weeks, and so no desperate cleaning and picking up has been going on. After a couple of innocent comments from my hubby on the state of her room, I aggressively  tackled it.

Here are the lovely before shots:

girl's roomBEFORE
girl's room2BEFORE

The second step to tackling a room organization/cleaning is to wash all the bedding, and clothing that may or may not have been stuffed under the bed, or in the back of the closet.

Since my daughter’s room obviously needed some attention. I stripped the sheets, and gathered it with the other laundry I found under the bed.

girl's room3

While you’re going through things, keep a running purge pile and a trash pile.

girl's room4

I also had my daughter approve some toys to move to the basement, that she didn’t want to get rid of, but that she didn’t need immediate access to in her room.

girl's room5

Here is an in progress shot:

girl's room6

After some cleaning, putting toys and animals away, and fresh sheets, here are the after pictures!

girl's room7

girl's room8

It looked so nice and inviting that my daughter and son wanted to go in there and start taking everything off the shelves to play with, but that’s how it goes!

We bought these shelves as sets of 9 cubes and attached them together, and to the wall, and they really do make clean up fairly quick and painless, because I grouped like items together in the baskets and bins.

girl's room9

I organize my daughter hair accessories in a shoe bag on the back of her door, and it works well because I can separate by colors, types, ribbons or hair bows.

girl's room92

While I don’t want to be obsessive about keeping my home tidy, ( and I’m not) it IS so much more enjoyable to be in an organized calm space.
Next week I think I will tackle her closet!

1. Stacey
    May 13, 2011 / 8:38 pm

Love the shoe organizer idea!

2. May 14, 2011 / 2:21 am

Looks great! Love the night table drawers!

3. Randi
    May 14, 2011 / 5:11 am

Adorable room! I love her bedding, where did you find it? It would go perfectly in my twins’ room!

4. May 14, 2011 / 2:25 pm

Thankyou so much for your comments! I bought her bedding at Target. The cubbie units are 36 inches.

5. May 14, 2011 / 1:05 pm

Looks wonderful! I’m wondering if those cubbies would fit against my sons wall… hmmmmm, now I’ll have to measure! Great job.

6. May 15, 2011 / 1:53 pm

Your brave efforts paid off! Great job, love the cubes for storage and the rug!!! jules

7. May 16, 2011 / 1:03 pm

hi, you did some lovely work here… i am tackling my studio so i can REALLY appreciate your accomplishments ( -:

And grrr to Blogger… I have been so frustrated with my inability to leave comments… so happy it’s fixed. Have a lovely day! Malia

8. May 16, 2011 / 2:29 pm

what a difference a little organization makes! her room looks darling! i found you on dittle dattle’s link party. stop over and say hi sometime! andiejaye @ http://www.crayonfreckles.com/

9. May 17, 2011 / 4:47 am

Hi Margo…this is what I need to be doing, thanks for the inspiration. You may want to join my newbie party, that I host every Monday.

10. May 17, 2011 / 10:18 pm

Looks really great! I love cubbies… and also love the shoe organizer you used for her hair accessories.
    Thanks for linking this up to my Organizing Mission link party

11. Jessica @ My World - Made By Hand
    May 19, 2011 / 4:08 pm

What a great way to organize hair goodies! I’m going to have to pick me up a shoe organizer the next time I’m at Wally World.

12. May 21, 2011 / 3:58 pm

What a transformation! Now I am thinking of a way to do this with my 20 year old college kid’s room. Maybe there is hope!

13. Courtney ~ French Country Cottage
    May 22, 2011 / 3:07 pm

Wow- Her room really looks wonderful! So organized and neat… okay, you have motivated me- I gotta get going on my organizing too 🙂 Thank you for sharing this at Feathered Nest Friday- hope you will come share again soon!

14. May 27, 2011 / 12:16 am

One of my favorite things to do is organize my kids rooms. It always makes me feel so much better. I hate a mess. Thanks for sharing at my Swing into Spring party.

15. May 30, 2011 / 2:15 am

Hi, Margo! I’m admiring all your creative posts here so can you please share them with us at the Creative Bloggers’ Party & Hop? Hope to see you there at the party 🙂

16. Paige
    August 5, 2011 / 2:21 am

Looks great! My daughter has the same bedding. 🙂 Where did you purchase the cubbies? Those look really handy.

17. August 9, 2011 / 1:44 am

Those cubbies are exactly what I’ve been looking for for my kids’ rooms! Hope I can find some locally that don’t cost an arm and a leg. There’s no ikea for like 200 miles :(.

18. MarcyKay
    August 24, 2011 / 3:32 am

My oldest has the same bed set! Lol. I love Target =) Those cubbies rock. I’m getting some from Ikea next month – before I go crazy with the stupid toy bin we have lol. Her room looks great!! Kudos =)