Meal Prep Salad Jars With Printable Ingredients Ideas
Why prepare salads ahead of time? Well, if you’re anything like me, by the time dinner rolls around, I’m tired, and a lot of times I want a salad but don’t feel like chopping veggies. There are also days I want a salad for a quick lunch.
Chopping vegetables is not a quick task for me, so I first tried a salad delivery service (2 times). My husband loved them and I hated them. The chicken in them tasted yucky to me, but I did love the way they layered their salads in a jar with wet ingredients on the bottom and then filled the rest of the jar with the other ingredients including dressing.
So it motivated me to make my own salads-in-a-jar! So worth it! We’ve been eating salads for lunch or dinner and add the chicken when we’re ready to eat. I love making the salads up ahead of time and putting everything in a glass jar, because it not only looks pretty, but more importantly it stays fresh.
Here are the ingredients I used, but you can customize the ingredients to whatever you love in your salads.
Here’s what you do:
- Make sure your jars are clean. I used the 32 ounces size which was perfect for a good amount of salad for one.
- Wash and chop up your produce, measure out your nuts, croutons, cheese etc…
- When you have everything ready to go, start first with the wetter ingredients and begin layering. My higher moisture ingredients were the tomatoes, peppers and cucumbers. So they went on the bottom.
- Then the carrots, blueberries, almonds and cheese. On top of everything I gently “stuffed” my lettuce into the jar till it was full.
- Seal the jars up with lids, and into the refrigerator they go. I can’t tell you how wonderful it is to just go and grab one when I’m craving something fresh and healthy. You feel so good knowing that you’re getting lots of produce into your body.
Here’s a free printable list to jog your memory as to the different items you could add to your salads!
Free Printable List of Ideas for Salad Ingredients
My salads were fresh for 6 days in my refrigerator (without the poultry or meat). With different types of produce and ingredients it may be different for you, so you be the judge.