Everybody’s Favorite Layered Taco Dip

I really enjoy anything tacos, nachos, burritos… anything really with Southwestern flavors.  Recently at a bridal shower, I sampled a taco dip served with tortilla chips, and I was immediately hooked, and had to share it with you!  This dip is not only yummy and colorful, but very versatile as well, because you can include the things you like, and omit the ingredients you don’t. You can also serve it on a platter or in individual servings.

INGREDIENTS:

• 8 ounces cream cheese (I used light)
  • 8 ounces sour cream (I used light)
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
  • 8 ounces tomato sauce
  • 8 ounces Mexican cheese blend
  • 3-4 cups lettuce, shredded
  • 2-4 tomatoes, diced
  • chopped green onion (optional
  • taco sauce (optional)
  • Tortilla chips or Pita chips

DIRECTIONS:

• Mix cream cheese, sour cream, and the original recipe includes 3/4 cup mayonnaise, which I omitted because my husband doesn’t like mayonnaise.

Everybody’s Favorite Layered Taco Dip, Joyful Homemaking

• Spread in a 9×13 dish and chill for an hour. If you prefer, single size servings are a pretty option.

• Brown your ground beef, drain, then add taco seasoning and tomato sauce, and cook an additional 5 minutes.

Everybody’s Favorite Layered Taco Dip, Joyful Homemaking

• Let cool, and then spread over the cream cheese mixture. Refrigerate again. (Update 11/2016 – As long as your cream cheese and sour cream are nice and cold when you blend them, and your meat’s cooled down some, you can layer everything and serve it right away, skipping the refrigerating steps).

Everybody’s Favorite Layered Taco Dip, Joyful Homemaking

• When you are ready to serve, top with cheese, lettuce and tomato (and if you like green onion and taco sauce).

Everybody’s Favorite Layered Taco Dip, Joyful Homemaking

•  Serve with tortilla chips.
Everybody’s Favorite Layered Taco Dip, Joyful Homemaking

Or serve with those scooped shaped chips, to gather as much yummy-ness into one bite as possible!

Taco Dip

Print Recipe

Ingredients

• 8 ounces cream cheese I used light
  • 8 ounces sour cream I used light
  • 1 pound ground beef
  • 1 Tablespoon taco seasoning
  • 8 ounces tomato sauce
  • 8 ounces Mexican cheese blend
  • 3-4 cups lettuce shredded
  • 2-4 to tomatoes diced
  • chopped green onions optional
  • taco sauce optional
  • Tortilla chips

Instructions

• Let cool, and then spread over the cream cheese mixture.
  • Refrigerate again.
  • (Update 11/2016 - As long as your cream cheese and sour cream are nice and cold when you blend them, and your meat's cooled down some, you can layer everything and serve it right away, skipping the refrigerating steps).
  • When you are ready to serve, top with cheese, lettuce and tomato (and if you like green onions and taco sauce).
  • Serve with tortilla chips.
Servings: 6

Everybody’s Favorite Layered Taco Dip, Joyful Homemaking

It’s nice and pretty in individual portions too!

taco-dip

Hope you enjoy!

Taco Dip

modified from Taste of Home

1. August 8, 2012 / 1:04 pm

This looks so yummy!!! Thanks for sharing!

2. Wani
    August 8, 2012 / 1:04 pm

yum!! I can’t wait to try this!

3. momma-lana
    August 8, 2012 / 2:51 pm

I am saving this as a great lunch for the Christmas season when this Nana is up to eyeballs with our kids families and grandkids. I would rather spend time with them than be in the kitchen! They would all love this!

4. August 9, 2012 / 5:22 am

I LOVE taco dip!! Yum! I came over from Someday crafts. Would love for you to link this to my weekly party. I’ve opened up my successful food party to crafts this week, would love for you to stop by! http://nap-timecreations.com/

5. Carol
    August 9, 2012 / 2:50 pm

Stopping by via Cooking Thursday. I love taco dip! Your version looks so yummy!

6. August 10, 2012 / 1:04 am

Oh that looks SO good, saving this one 🙂

7. August 10, 2012 / 8:44 pm

Wow, this looks so yummy! I may have to switch it up one night and serve this for dinner. I bet my 3 year old would love it. Thanks! -Kelly @ Semi Homemade Mom

8. August 13, 2012 / 7:18 am

YOu are being featured at this weeks Tasteful Tuesday! Thanks for linking up last week. We would love for you to add our party to your link party list! http://nap-timecreations.com/

9. August 13, 2012 / 3:52 pm

How yummy! It looks so cute in the single serving size cups as well 🙂

I wanted to take a second to invite you over to my blog and to submit to my link party if you’d like. Have a great week!

10. SkinnyMommy
    August 13, 2012 / 4:03 pm

Yum! Who doesn’t love taco dip?!

11. thecookssister
    August 14, 2012 / 7:30 pm

Love your taco dip! This could be a nice snack or even a great lunch item!

Stopping by from Melt in Your Mouth Monday (#85 Beef Burgers with Bacon and Red Onion)

Amber @ The Cook’s Sister

12. Kristin
    August 15, 2012 / 6:13 pm

This looks absolutely scrumptious! Definitely pinning this for future dinners =)

13. August 16, 2012 / 10:19 pm

Having a blast finding new recipes today..this will be a favorite with my family..pinning..

14. August 16, 2012 / 10:27 pm

Sorry this is late, but better late then never. Thanks so much for sharing with last weeks with Wednesday’s Adorned From Above. The link party is open now for this week.
    Debi Bolocofsky

15. Tutus & Tea Parties
    August 17, 2012 / 12:01 am

Wow, this looks gooood! I’d love for you to come share this at our Pinteresting Party!

16. Liz @ Here's to Handy Andy
    August 17, 2012 / 4:00 am

YUM!! Thanks so much for sharing at our Pinteresting Link Party!

17. financial help
    May 8, 2013 / 5:34 am

Thanks for another excellent article. The place else may anyone get that kind of info in such a perfect way of writing?
    I’ve a presentation next week, and I am at the look for such information.

18. manhattanbeachmomma.com
    May 13, 2013 / 12:11 pm

I’m truly enjoying the design and layout of your site. It’s a very easy on the eyes which makes it much more enjoyable for me to come here
    and visit more often. Did you hire out a developer to create your theme?
    Exceptional work!

19. February 10, 2018 / 9:13 am

I could eat this dip all by itself! Looks so good! Thanks for sharing at Fiesta Friday party! Hope you’d come and visit others! x

20. February 12, 2018 / 1:26 pm

Congratulations! Your post was my feature pick at #WWBlogHop this week. Visit me at https://www.marilynstreats.com on Tuesday evening to see your feature! All hosts choose their own features from the comments left on their blog so be sure to stop by and see your feaure. I invite you to leave more links to be shared and commented upon. Please be sure to leave your link number or post title so we can be sure to visit!

21. February 12, 2018 / 7:06 pm

Sounds delicious – I never thought of layering everything together, I’ll try that next time. Thanks for sharing at Fiesta Friday.

22. helenfern
    February 15, 2018 / 9:52 am

I think I’d be eating this with a spoon! It looks and sounds delicious! Thanks for sharing at the What’s for Dinner party!

23. February 16, 2018 / 8:26 pm

What a delicious dip recipe. Perfect for a large group, too. Thanks for sharing at Snickerdoodle Party. We’ll be featuring this at tomorrow’s party. Hope to see you there!

24. February 17, 2018 / 2:10 pm

I too enjoy anything with Southwestern flavors. Your recipe for Taco Dip sounds delish.

25. JaneEllen
    February 18, 2018 / 1:35 am

Many years ago remember this recipe, making it couple times then forgot about it. Sure glad you unearthed it again. Would be great substitute supper to make, has lots of veggies at least. everything else needed, why not? This would be for 2 seniors for something different. Have leftovers for lunch a couple days after. Printed this out will be making soon.

• Margo
      Author
      February 18, 2018 / 9:03 am

Oh I’m so glad, hope you enjoy it!

26. February 21, 2018 / 1:59 pm

This recipe caught my attention on a linky! I don’t think you can ever go wrong with a taco dip! Perfect for a family party or any party! Thank you for sharing!

27. Anonymous
    November 19, 2020 / 5:54 am

Very delicious make often for parties always gone first. Great appitiser my favorite and easy. Yum. Everyone loves it wherever I take it huge hit.