I enjoy making cookies with the kids and using cookie cutters, and they have a great time too, but I’ve always worried a bit about salmonella possibly being in the dough, because of the raw eggs. Speaking at least for my own kids, they tasted and touched everything when they were little, and I really didn’t want to be constantly nagging or alarming them (for pushing their hair back, wiping doughy fingers on their clothes, or licking their fingers) while they were creating their masterpieces. So for my sanity and their fun, I used egg free cookie dough recipes, and eliminated the worry about the eggs.
This recipe for egg free sugar cookies makes a beautifully textured sugar cookie that you can roll out and cut, and no one will know the difference!
Here are the ingredients you need:
2 1/2 cups flour ( I sift mine)
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon salt
One 8 ounce pkg. cream cheese (or Neufchatel cheese)
3/4 cup (12 Tablespoons) or 1 1/2 sticks softened butter
1 cup of sugar
1 1/2 teaspoons vanilla
1/2 teaspoon almond extract
Mix all your dry ingredients in a separate bowl.
In a mixing bowl beat together the cream cheese, softened butter, sugar, vanilla, and almond extract till creamy, and then slowly add the flour mixture.
Form it together ( I didn’t make a very good ball 😛 ), cover it, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
To make things a little less messy, I like to spread out wax paper for each one using the cookie cutters, sprinkle a little flour on, and then I divide up the dough, and roll each person a big flat “circle” of dough.
I also set out several baking sheets with parchment paper on them to receive their cut cookies.
Then using fun cookie cutters, let the kids (or adults) cut out their cookies. Bake them in a preheated 350 degree oven for about 12 minutes, and after they cool, they’re ready to frost and decorate.
Depending on what size cookie cutters you use, this recipe makes 4 – 5 dozen cookies.
This time we used canned frosting and icing, and lots of sprinkles, and I tried melting the frosting in the microwave to make a more glazed look for a few of the cookies, like the traditional sugar cookie glaze.
- 2½ cups flour ( I sift mine)
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- One 8 ounce pkg. cream cheese (or Neufchatel cheese)
- ¾ cup (12 Tablespoons) or 1½ sticks softened butter
- 1 cup of sugar
- 1½ teaspoons vanilla
- ½ teaspoon almond extract
- Mix all your dry ingredients except the sugar, in a separate bowl.
- In a mixing bowl beat together the cream cheese, softened butter, sugar, vanilla and almond extract till creamy, and then slowly add the flour mixture.
- Form it together into a rough ball, cover it, and chill in the refrigerator for at least 30 minutes.
- Then roll out the dough on a lightly floured surface, and cut out your cookie shapes with cookie cutters.
- Bake in a preheated 350 degree oven on lightly greased or parchments covered cookie sheets around 12 minutes.
- Let cool and decorate!
There you go, have fun!