Bathroom Cleaning Tips

Cleaning the bathroom is one of my least favorite chores. However, as with a lot of chores, it’s something that has to be taken care of regardless.

bathroom cleaning tips2

A few months ago I did a little organizing in my master bath with baskets and drawers that fit under the sink.

The organizing in the bathroom has been pretty easy to maintain,
but lately I’ve found myself looking up cleaning tips on Pinterest to
try and make the cleaning part easier. As most of you know,
Pinterest is full of all kinds of ideas, and my first two bathroom
cleaning tips are ones that I found on there from Real Simple.

The first is to use a dryer sheet to remove soap scum on shower doors.
I know it sounds weird, but I tried it and was so surprised at how well
it worked.  Here is our shower door before I cleaned it.

You can see the white film on it–ewww–I know.
It didn’t take one dryer sheet; it took three to get this thing cleaned.
I simply wet them down, ( I used them one at a time till they
got yucky) and scrubbed the door. Then I rinsed it several times
and wiped it down good. I was extremely pleased at the results!
I think it worked a lot better than any regular bathroom cleaner I’ve used before. Here is my after shot.

I never would of thought it up, but it worked great! I’ve also read to prevent the soap buildup in the first place, you can use car wax to wax your clean door, and it will repel the buildup. I may have to try that sometime, but using the dryer sheets made the door a snap to clean.

The second tip, also from Real Simple was for hanging up your bathroom rug to dry. There is no room for a drying rack in my walk through laundry room, and I usually toss my rug over something when it comes out of the washer since I don’t dry it in the dryer as it can damage the backing.
This was the simple idea I hadn’t thought of (Kind of a “duh” moment).

Use a hanger with clips and hang it on the shower curtain rod, brilliant.

A few years ago when my mother-in-law was visiting she hung a bag of white vinegar on my shower head, and I didn’t have a clue why. Now I know, it’s a great way to get rid of the build up in the shower head that makes it splutter. The calcium or lime in the water clogs the little holes in it so it doesn’t work as well as it should after a while.

Use white vinegar, pour it in a baggie and using a rubber band secure it around the shower head, making sure the vinegar is covering the holes (The smell is strong so it’s a good idea to have the fan going).

Let it sit for a few hours or overnight, scrub with a scrub brush or old toothbrush and rinse well. Your shower head will have more power as the holes should be cleaned out. It worked great on ours!

My last tip is for the toilet plunger. When I was first married, I would keep the plunger in a plastic grocery bag to keep the drips contained (I know, ewww again).  I finally decided to check out plastic storage containers, and found one that was made to hold cd’s but was also the perfect size to put the plunger in.

Simple, but it helps keep the bathroom cleaner and some of my germ phobias contained, literally.

tub and shower cleaner Simple Shower and Tub Cleaner

Be sure to check out this amazing Simple Tub and Shower Cleaner!

Happy Cleaning!

3953

Enter your email address to subscribe to all new posts:
Preview | Powered by FeedBlitz

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...

Comments

1. says

Hmmmm……several years ago I took the double sliding doors off our shower and opted for a curtain and liner. I used to take the doors off, carry them outside and scrub them with SOS pads then hit them with the hose. But then there’s still the shower – ugh. I’m going to pick up some dryer sheets and see if they clean the acrylic walls as well. Thanks, Margo

2. says

Awesome ideas! I’m going to use that on my shower door…I can’t tell you how many times I wish we could just have a curtain. Looks nice but the upkeep is near impossible.
    Any homemade ideas for clogged sinks? I could use some advice!

3. Lauren says

A dryer sheet for soap scum? Really? My question is: who discovers this works? It’s not like dryer sheets are kept in the bathroom. Anyways, great info, thanks for sharing! Stopping by way of a linky party.

4. Lauren says

Oh yes, I also meant to mention we have a crawling/walking baby who discovered the plunger and toilet bowl brush (ewww!). I put them out in the garage, yet they keep on appearing back in the bathrooms. Hmmmm.

5. says

Hi, I saw your link on A Bowl Full Of Lemons so am just stopping by! Just this week I’ve been thinking about my bathroom organization as I bought some new hair straighteners and there’s no room to store them so I need to get sorted. My other problem, now winter is here is that the bathroom rug is not drying properly when laid over the edge of the tub. So I was really pleased to see your idea for hanging it to the shower rod and am using it already. Perfect!
    Thanks, Chloe
    GetSetOrganize.com

6. Jamie says

You are so organized. I too, had a duh moment when I saw the washcloth. Thank you for all the tips. I love your blog. I’m your newest follower. Would love you to stop by DIY Home Sweet Home.
    P.S. I have a giveaway going on. Come over and check it out.

Jamie

7. says

My answer for the scummy shower doors came from the WD40 website! Spray WD40 on a rag and rub it on the scummy shower doors. Scum goes away and 8 years later, there is still no accumulation! Yes, the bathroom smelled like WD40, but only for a day. DO NOT spray directly on shower doors, as the overspray will cause extremely slick spots on the floor or tub surface.

8. says

Hi Ya’ll,

as a cleaning lady in a condo i can tell you that yes, the dryer sheets work-they dont have to be new to work either so after doing a load or two of laundry-reuse those dryer sheets. Its something to do with the texture.

Also,Mr Clean Magic Eraser works on a MILLION different things so when in doubt, use Mr Clean Magic Eraser!

Hope This Helps

9. says

Fab tips! I proper, proper HATE cleaning the bathroom, so anything that helps is always much appreciated! Must do that vingear on the shower head trick. I have used it to descale the kettle loads, but never thought to do the shower. Cheers! xx

10. says

Spent dryer sheets work just as well on the shower doors. I use several at a time. You’d be surprised how much “stuff” is still in the sheets. Thanks for the tips!

11. says

I’ve found that if I rinse my toilet brush in hot water (in the tub, before I clean the tub…) it doesn’t get yucky, or at least it takes a VERY long time to get yucky. That’s one of my germ phobias–don’t want to clean with a dirty cleaning tool, then what’s the point???

12. says

Brilliant ideas in bathroom cleaning the easy and economical way! These will surely help a lot of people who like bathroom cleaning the least among all the household chores as you have presented ideas that are very practical. As a Twin Cities janitorial company, we aim to provide a quality service of house cleaning and maintenance that you need.

13. Izabella B says

I LOVE YOUR BLOG!!!!! SO HELPFUL!!! :::):):) It gives me hope for all those stains and what not I always thought would be there…

14. Lisa Griffith says

Ok. So, I’m intrigued by the dryer sheets. I have a large all glass enclosed shower (not frosted.) Do you use these dryer sheets dry? I tried just rinsing the water off the shower with dryer sheets- didn’t seem to work. I should rinse them? Or do I clean the shower and then get the residue off with dryer sheets? Thanks

15. brenda pannell says

Instead of such a large storage for the commode plunger, I use a clear plastic plant saucer. I pick one that is just larger than the plunger. They are not expensive, so toss when dirty and replace. They do not stand out as the tub, take up less space.

16. Amanda says

I own a Phoenix maid service company, but have never seen the tip for the dryer sheet. Can’t wait to try it out in our clients’ homes!

17. says

I’ve seen a lot of cleaning tips out there in blogs, I like how these tips are detailed and the image of each tip is presented aha thank you!

18. Dave says

I’ve heard of the tip of using dryer sheets to clean your shower but I wasn’t sure if it was true. Now that I have seen the results I will definitely start using them to clean my shower! Thanks for sharing these amazing tips!

19. Noah says

ll see much better results with this diet plan than you would with others that use some generic formula to calculate
    your nutrient needs. 5- The actuality about whenever and tips on how to work with both of those dumbbells and equipments to place on high level of quality muscle quickly.

No make a difference what sort of fat coaching regimen you.

my web page; Noah

20. says

Your tip about pouring white vinegar into a bag then leaving it overnight is really great – i’ll be sure to give this a go myself! Thanks

21. J Werth says

I keep the plunger in an empty flower pot. It’s a pretty color that coordinates with the bathroom.

22. says

I’ve never tried the dryer sheet thing! Cool idea. If only I could now think of a way for keeping the inside of my shower curtain from getting moldy…

23. says

I lately chanced on your periodical and are reading on. i assumed i’d depart my 1st commentary. I don’t apprehend what to mention except that I really have relished reading.

24. says

Yes. Vinegar is a natural cleaner. It can really work wonders to all kinds of dirt. The good thing about using vinegar as cleanser is that you get to avoid toxic cleansers which can damage your hand, your health and the environment too. Anyway, with clog-free shower holes, you can enjoy generous flow of water.

Trackbacks